Friday, May 23, 2008

Spring


O! how this spring of love resembleth
The uncertain glory of an April day!


William Shakespeare (1564–1616)
"The Two Gentlemen of Verona"

__________


The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another.

The difference between them is sometimes as great as a month.

Henry Van Dyke (1852–1933)
Fisherman's Luck (1899)

__________

William Wordsworth. 1770–1850

The Rainbow

MY heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old, 5
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety
.

__________


For winter's rains and ruins are over,
And all the season of snows and sins;
The days dividing lover and lover,
The light that loses, the night that wins;
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten,
And in green underwood and cover
Blossom by blossom the spring begins.


Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837–1909)
Atalanta in Calydon (1865)

__________

No comments: